- Inspection & Code Enforcement Department
- Occupational Business Licenses
- Alcohol Related Businesses
Alcohol Related Businesses
If you desire to open an establishment that plans to offer alcohol for sale you must have a liquor license issued by Louisiana Alcohol and Tobacco Control, which is an agency of the State of Louisiana Department of Revenue responsible for regulating the sale, storage, and distribution of retail alcoholic beverages in City of Kenner. The liquor license from the Louisiana Alcohol and Tobacco Control allows the prospective business owner to purchase alcohol. The prospective business owner must also have an occupational license from the City of Kenner that allows the sale of liquor within the boundaries of the municipality.
A nonexclusive list of examples of business that offer alcohol for sale are as follows:
- Convenient Stores
- Discount Stores
- Gas Stations
- Grocery Stores
A. If opening a new business or if purchasing an existing business with a liquor license, the following items are required for submittal:
- A completed Occupational License Application (PDF). Any questions regarding the application can be answered by contacting the Occupational License office of the Department of Inspection and Code Enforcement at 504-468-4064. Once the application is received in our office, it will be forwarded to the following in house agencies for approval: The prospective owner shall present verification from the Department of Health and Hospitals (DHH) that the business does not need an approval or that the business is permitted in accordance with all applicable codes. Questions regarding DHH application, inspection and approval may be answered by calling 504-838-5140 or by visiting their website at Board of Health for the Department of Health and Hospitals.
- The Planning Department may be reached at 504-468-7280 for questions relating to zoning.
- Verification from the Wastewater Department or city contractor that the business does not need approval or that the business is permitted in accordance with all applicable codes. The city contractor may be reached at 504-468-7515 regarding any wastewater discharge, grease traps, or sewerage questions.
- Verification from the Permit Office for Department of Inspection and Code Enforcement that the business has been inspected and is permitted in accordance with all applicable codes. Download the Building Permit Application (PDF). The Permits Office may also be reached by calling 504-468-4062 regarding building permits and inspections.
- Often, liquor licenses are regulated by the zoning in which the proposed business would be located. Therefore, verification from the Planning Department for the City of Kenner that the business is properly zoned is required.
- A valid liquor license is required from the Louisiana Alcohol and Tobacco Control (ATC). That office can be contacted at 225-925-4041 or visit the Louisiana ATC website.
- Certified copy of the advertisement of the prospective business that has run for two consecutive days must be submitted with the application.
- If the property where the business is located is a leased property, a copy of the lease must be submitted with the application.
Business Permit Information
- The applicant must submit a complete package (application and approvals from all applicable departments and agencies) for processing. Failure to submit a completed packet can result in longer processing times and delay of the opening of the business.
- In the event the applicant fails to provide the information, forms, and documents required by the City in connection with this application within 60 days of the date this application is received by the City, the application shall, without further notice, be deemed to have been voluntarily withdrawn as of that date and no further action will be taken in connection with the application.
- The prospective business owner should also consult with the Louisiana Department of Revenue, the Jefferson Parish Bureau of Revenue and Taxation and all other agencies tasked with the regulation and collection of sales tax associated with the business.
- Every employee, manager, or owner that may dispense alcohol at any time at the proposed establishment must apply for and obtain a City of Kenner ABO Card. Download the application (PDF) and download the affidavit.