Home Based Business

The City of Kenner has regulations regarding home-based businesses, or home occupations.

Standards for Home Based Businesses

  1. The use of the dwelling for a home occupation should be with the residential character of the dwelling or the neighborhood.
  2. The business shall only be conducted by a resident or residents of the dwelling.
  3. No more than 15% of the total floor area, maximum 300 square feet, of the dwelling shall be used for the home occupation.
  4. No stock in trade is kept for commodities sold, no mechanical equipment is used except such that is normally used for family, domestic, or household purposes, and there is no exterior indication other than a sign permitted by the district regulations, that the building is being used for any purpose other than a dwelling
  5. When within the above requirements, a home occupation includes but is not limited to the following:
    • Art studio
    • Dressmaking and tailoring
    • Professional office of a lawyer, engineer, architect, accountant, salesman, real estate agent, insurance agent, or other similar occupations; or
    • Teaching, with musical instruction (including dance instruction) limited to not more than two pupils at a time.

      However, a home occupation shall not be interpreted to include barbershops, beauty parlors, restaurants, or the office of a physician or dentist where mechanical equipment is used.
  6. Home occupations which exist as a legal nonconforming use status shall not be allowed to continue once the occupants who have established the legal use status no longer occupy the premises.
  7. Home occupations shall not utilize flammable liquids or hazardous materials in quantities not customary to a residential use.

  1. To open a Home Based business in the City of Kenner, the following are required for submittal:
    1. A completed Occupational License Application (PDF). Any questions regarding the application can be answered by contacting the Occupational License office of the Department of Inspection and Code Enforcement at 504-468-4064. Once the application is received in our office, it will be forwarded to the following in house agencies for approval:
      1. Verification from the Planning Department for the City of Kenner that the business is properly zoned. The Planning Department may be reached at 504-468-7280 for questions relating to zoning.
      2. Verification from the Wastewater Department or city contractor that the business does not need approval or that the business is permitted in accordance with all applicable codes. The city contractor may be reached at 504-468-7515 regarding any wastewater discharge, grease traps, or sewerage questions.
      3. Verification from the Permit Office for Department of Inspection and Code Enforcement that the business has been inspected and is permitted in accordance with all applicable codes. Download the Building Permit Application. The Permits Office may also be reached by calling 504-468-4062 regarding building permits and inspections.
    2. The prospective owner shall present verification from the Department of Health and Hospitals (DHH) that the business does not need an approval or that the business is permitted in accordance with all applicable codes. Questions regarding DHH application, inspection and approval may be answered by calling 504-838-5140 or by visiting their website at Board of Health for the Department of Health and Hospitals.

Business Permit Information

  1. The applicant must submit a completed application and all other required documentation for processing. Failure to submit a completed application can result in longer processing times and delay of the opening of the business.
  2. In the event the applicant fails to provide the information, forms, and documents required by the City in connection with this application within 60 days of the date the application is received by the City, the application shall, without further notice, be deemed to have been voluntarily withdrawn as of that date and no further action will be taken in connection with the application.
  3. The prospective business owner should also consult with the Louisiana Department of Revenue, the Jefferson Parish Bureau of Revenue and Taxation and all other agencies tasked with the regulation and collection of sales tax associated with the business.