Online Citizen Complaints

Non-Emergency Requests Only

The Department of Inspections and Code Enforcement is happy to offer the ability to submit non-emergency requests via the Citizen Self Service Online Portal. Please remember that this site is for non-emergencies only. Any and all emergencies should be reported directly to the Kenner Police and Fire Departments via 911.

What are Non-Emergency Requests

Some examples of non-emergency requests include but are not limited to:

  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Overgrown grass and weeds
  • Garbage and illegal dumping
  • Stagnant water
  • No electrical, plumbing or building permit

You may contact the Department of Inspections and Code Enforcement for clarification if you are unsure as to the classification of your request. Email Non-Emergency Requests.


What You Will Need?

  • You will need to provide your name, contact telephone number and email address.
  • Property location: Please be advised that the location of the complaint is a MUST. Please be prepared to provide the address of the location. If the location is a street, intersection, or vacant lot, please note that in the description and provide a location that is adjacent to the property you are reporting.

File a non-emergency request.